The first public debate of the semester will serve to showcase approximately how competitive debating is done at international competitions such as the World Universities Debating Championship. For this purpose, we have invited some of the most experienced debaters in Lund to debate on a topic YOU choose!
– We’ll present ourselves, what we do and announce some of the vacant committee positions
– We will put up the three motions on the screen. A motion is essentially a thesis wherein one side defends it while the other opposes it. There’ll be one motion per theme per the event title: Money, Trump, Sex.
– The audience will then use their phones to vote for one of the motions. The motion with most votes will be debated.
– The debaters get approximately 10 minutes to prepare for the debate while the audience votes if they are For, Against or Undecided on the motion.
– The debate commences. When the last speaker is done, there’ll be another vote to see which side managed to persuade most people to their side. Then, there’ll be mingling with snacks and drinks for free.
It will be possible to sign-up and ask questions to board members during the mingling.
NO ACADEMIC QUARTER