They say that all good relationships start with a bit of conflict, so we decided to try out that idea…
We present to you: Debate Speed Date – the event where you’ll combine meeting people through speed date with debates on random issues in a not-so-serious manner! 🙂
This event is free of charge and open event to anyone interested!
How to Debate Speed Date:
1. Pretend it’s Valentine (or don’t; meeting new friends is totally cool)
2. Take a seat so that you have someone opposite to you. This person will be your opponent and date for the first round
3. We will announce that one side is FOR and the other side is AGAINST the ‘thesis’/topic. Examples of topics: “All kids should get Christmas presents, even the naughty ones”, “Prostitution should be legalized” or “Democracy is overrated”
3. All the pairs get around 3 minutes to debate.
4. After the debate, everyone gets around 2 minutes to “de-brief” and chit-chat. Things to talk about:
– Compliment. What super-smart things did the other person say?
– Constructive feedback. What could have been said?
– Ask what they study or where they are from
5. After “de-brief”, everyone sitting on one side will move while the other side stays. And then the process repeats until 20.30! 🙂
After the date speed debates there’ll be some mingling with snacks and drinks for free!!!
During this time, it will also be possible to sign-up to become a member and talk to the board members about competitive debating which we normally do during Tuesdays and have done at many international tournaments the previous year.